AccueilAlice - Strange mirrors, unsuspected lessons
Leading Europe to a new way of sharing the world experiences
Publié le mercredi 19 septembre 2012 par Marie Pellen
The Centre for Social Studies (CES) –Associate Laboratory– of the University of Coimbra, Portugal, has an open competition to two Post-Doctoral Grants within the scope of the project “ALICE - Strange Mirrors, Unsuspected Lessons: Leading Europe to a new way of sharing the world experiences” (alice.ces.uc.pt), funded by the European Research Council (269807), under the supervision of Boaventura de Sousa Santos, in the following terms:
a. Scientific Area:
b. Thematic description of the two open positions
The project ALICE coordinated by Boaventura de Sousa Santos seeks to re-think and renovate socio-scientific knowledge in light of the epistemologies of the South. The objective is to develop new theoretical and political paradigms of social transformation, beyond the Eurocentric academic paradigms.
The applicants are expected to have experience on the critical analysis of the social, historical and political processes in India or South Africa and of the relationships between the global North and South. The applicants are also expected to possess a broad knowledge about the project’s thematic areas, namely innovative democratic experiments; constitutional reforms and innovations in state institutions; human rights (especially in the area of access to health); and other economies, with an emphasis on non-capitalist popular economies.
The project privileges applicants who are integrated in research networks in Asia and/or Africa and that have already developed work on those contexts. The project also gives priority to applicants who are familiar with Boaventura de Sousa Santos theoretical work on the project’ thematic areas.
For additional information about the project, consult the web site at alice.ces.uc.pt.
c. Requirements and preferential admission criteria, with the corresponding weighting:
1. PhD or legal equivalent in the field of Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Human Rights, Law and/or Economics (20%);
2. Professional and research experience in two or more of the project’s thematic areas (25%);
3. Knowledge about the social, historical and political processes in Indian and/or South Africa (25%);
4. Interest in developing innovative research in the post-doctoral project within the scope of the project’s thematic areas (15%);
5. Proficiency in English and knowledge of Spanish/Portuguese (15%).
The additional knowledge of the regions the project involves (Brazil, Ecuador, Bolivia, South Africa and India) will be considered.
d. Working plan:
The main activity performed by the selected researchers consist on supporting the implementation of the project’s scientific tasks, namely conducting case studies, production of research reports, elaboration of scientific articles for peer reviewed journals, books, performing some organizational and administrative tasks within the project, as well as supporting any activity associated with the project’s general goals.
e. Legislation and applicable regulations:
Law No. 40/2004, of August 18th (Research Fellow Statute), FCT’s Regulations for Advanced Training and Qualification of Human Resources 2012, and Regulations for Fellowships at the Centre for Social Studies.
f. Work place:
The tasks will be performed at the facilities of the Centre for Social Studies or other location necessary to implement the working plan, under the scientific supervision of the Principal Investigator.
g. Duration of the fellowship:
The fellowship will last 12 months, starting on November 1st, 2012. The fellowship contract may be extended, for equal or different time periods, until the end of the project, depending on the good performance of the developed activities, defined in its working plan, and on the Principal Investigator’s assent.
h. Monthly maintenance stipend:
The monthly stipend will be 1,750 Euro. The payment of the Voluntary Social Insurance and the Personal Accident Insurance is added to this amount.
i. Selection methods:
The applicants will be selected based on a curricular evaluation. The best selected applicants will be evaluated through an interview, conducted in English, meant to assess the applicant’s integration prospects with the project and his/her motivation in pursuing studies relating to the project’s thematic areas.
j. Other supplementary information:
The Centre for Social Studies reserves the right not to proceed with the recruitment if the applicants do not correspond to the desired profile.
k. Composition of the Selection Panel:
- Boaventura de Sousa Santos (President)
- Maria Paula Meneses (permanent member)
- José Manuel Mendes (permanent member)
l. Results publication/notification:
The competition final results will be published in a list posted at the Centre for Social Studies facilities and the selected applicant will be notified through e-mail. The competition results will be sent to the remaining applicants through e-mail.
m. Deadline for applications:
September 14th, 2012
n. Application presentation:
The applicant’ candidacy should must include a letter of intent/motivation letter, in English, stating his/her interest in the project; a detailed CV, a copy of the PhD (or equivalent) certificate, as well as a copy of two most relevant publications (articles and/or books) from the last three years. The applications must be delivered, in person, at the Centre for Social Studies during the competition, or sent by postal mail, with the expedition date stamp until the last day of the competition, to the following address:
Att. Prof. Doutor Boaventura de Sousa Santos
Centro de Estudos Sociais
Colégio de S. Jerónimo, Apartado 3087
CES promotes equal opportunities.
- Colégio de S. Jerónimo (CES - Universidade de Coimbra)
- vendredi 14 septembre 2012
- Alice - Strange Mirrors, Unsuspected Lessons
courriel : alice [at] ces [dot] uc [dot] pt
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Marta Maia
courriel : martamaia72 [at] yahoo [dot] fr
Pour citer cette annonce
« Alice - Strange mirrors, unsuspected lessons », Bourse, prix et emploi, Calenda, Publié le mercredi 19 septembre 2012, http://calenda.org/209414
Archiver cette annonce
À lire sur le même thème
- The semantics of tolerance and (anti-)racism in Europe
- Expression of Interest. Marie Curie Action Fellowships CIDEHUS (Portugal)
- Fellowship « Transitions » at the Italian-German Historical Institute of Trient (Isig), Italy
- Six doctoral studentships in History of Europe from the Middle Ages to Present Time
- LMU Munich Doctoral Fellowship Program in Globalization and Literature
- Recherche médicale, développement et mémoire dans le Nigéria colonial et postcolonial
- Study of the processes that lead to the production of new “ordinary” spaces in cities, residential space and/or public spaces
- PhD Opportunity at Queen Mary Centre for the History of the Emotions: Medicine, Emotions and Disease in History
- Grants from the Study Foundation of the Berlin House of Representatives
- Diversité, droits de l'Homme, participation