GuidelinesThe Terra Foundation for American Art actively supports projects that encourage international scholarship on American art topics, as well as scholarly projects with focused theses that explore American art in an international context.
Eligibility: The foundation only accepts proposals from institutions with United States 501(c)(3) status or the international equivalent. Grants are not made to individuals.
Academic funding is available for symposia, colloquia, and scholarly convenings on American art that take place:
- In Chicago or outside the United States
- In the United States that examine American art within an international context and/or include a significant number of international participants
- Terra Summer Residency
- Terra Research and Travel Grants
- Terra Foundation for American Art Fellowships at the Smithsonian American Art Museum
- Terra Foundation for American Art Teaching Fellowships and Visiting Professorships at the Courtauld Institute of Art in London; the Institut National d’Histoire de l’Art in Paris; John F. Kennedy Institut, Freie Universität in Berlin.
- Terra Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in American Art 1600–1950 at Northwestern University
- Terra Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in pre–1945 American Art at the University of Chicago
- Fellowship programs
- Research databases
- Programs primarily designed for non-academic audiences
- Capital expenditures
- Programs focused on architecture, conservation, or film