AccueilPostdoctoral Teaching Fellowship at the Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 2013-2015
Sponsored by the Terra Foundation for American Art
Publié le mercredi 19 décembre 2012 par Loïc Le Pape
Terra Foundation for American Art Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship, at The Courtuald Institute of Art
For period 1 September 2013 to 31 July 2015
Salary - £57,702 (approx. US$92,300) for this period (payment will be in sterling, subject to tax and National Insurance deductions) (1st year salary: £29,712 pa; 2nd year salary £30,535 pa pro rata). The total package available including salary, benefits, research, travel and living expenses has a value of up to US$ 100,666
With sponsorship from the Terra Foundation for American Art, The Courtauld Institute of Art’s Research Forum is pleased to announce the 2013-2015 fellowship for the teaching and study of historical American art (pre-1980). The award will enable a recent postdoctoral scholar to teach at The Courtauld Institute of Art and to undertake a major research project intended for publication. The Fellow will teach one course in the first year and two courses in the second year on selected American art topics. The Fellow will participate in The Courtauld’s research seminars and in the research culture generally.
This fellowship is part of an initiative of the Terra Foundation that aims to develop international interest, knowledge, and scholarship in the field of historical American art, and it has been awarded in conjunction with similar fellowships at the Freie Universität in Berlin and the Institut national d’histoire de l’art in Paris.
Applicants are expected to be at an early stage of their career, not currently holding, or having held a permanent university post and having received a doctorate within the three-year period prior to taking up the award. The scheme offers an early career researcher in the field of historical American art the possibility of gaining experience of research and teaching in a notable centre of art historical studies, which will enhance his or her curriculum vitae, improve his or her prospects of obtaining permanent teaching posts, and further the knowledge of American art.
- Post Title: Terra Foundation for American Art Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship at the Courtauld Institute of Art
- Location: Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R ORN
- Reports to: Head of Research and Dean and Deputy Director
Purpose of job
The award will enable a recent postdoctoral scholar to teach at The Courtauld Institute of Art, to undertake a major research project intended for publication, and to participate in the research culture of The Courtauld. These activities will enhance the appointee’s curriculum vitae and advance his or her prospects of obtaining other research awards and posts within the academic community.
Main duties and responsibilities
- 1. To teach specified courses on American art at undergraduate level: in year one a BA third-year ‘Special Option’ course, repeated in year two; additionally in year two a BA second-year ‘Texts and Contexts’ course. To undertake the formal assessment of these courses and offer feedback and advice to students in accordance with The Courtauld policy and practice.
- 2. To undertake a personal research project working towards stated research outcomes eg publication.
- 3. To present research in the Research Forum in the form of lecture or seminar presentations.
- 4. To organise at least one symposium at The Courtauld Institute in the two-year period, involving all the European-based Terra Fellows.
- 5. To participate fully in The Courtauld Institute’s research culture, regularly attending a wide range of research events and participating actively.
- 6. To maintain a webpage on The Courtauld website during the fellowship, relating to the Fellow’s own scholarly activity.
- 7. To prepare reports on the fellowship for The Courtauld and its committees and website and for the Terra Foundation as required.
- 8. To respect confidentiality and carry out all the duties and responsibilities of the post in a professional manner and with due regard to the importance of the site and in compliance with all of its policies, but especially Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety.
- 9. To undertake any other duties and responsibilities when requested, which are commensurate with this role.
- 1. Applicants should have received a doctorate in a relevant field of the History of Art within the three-year period prior to taking up the award.
- 2. Applicants should not currently hold, or have held a permanent university post.
- 3. Applicants should not have held a Terra Foundation for American Art postdoctoral teaching fellowship at the John F. Kennedy Institute of American Studies, the Institut national d'histoire de l'art, or The Courtauld Institute of Art within the last four years
Knowledge and Experience
- 4. Specialised knowledge of American art in a period prior to 1980.
- 5. Record of excellent scholarly publication in the field of American Art.
Skills and Abilities
- 6. Excellent teaching skills.
- 7. Demonstrable skills in research and writing.
- 8. Evidence of original thinking in the context of research into and interpretation of visual art.
- 9. Ability to make public presentations of a high standard.
- 10. Aptitude for creative involvement in the research culture of the institution.
- 11. Ability to work collaboratively with academic colleagues.
- 12. Excellent organisational and administrative skills.
Candidates for the postdoctoral fellowships who have taken up a Terra Foundation for American Art postdoctoral teaching fellowship at the John F. Kennedy Institute of American Studies, the Institut national d'histoire de l'art, or The Courtauld Institute of Art within the last four years will not be considered.
Applicants are asked to submit
- (1) a completed application form, with two letters of recommendation, including one from the candidate’s supervisor (these can be sent separately);
- (2) an equal opportunities monitoring form. CV’s alone will not be accepted.
Please return completed application forms to the Human Resources Manager, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Somerset House, Strand, London WC2R 0RN, marking the envelope private and confidential, or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Représentations (Catégorie principale)
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Histoire culturelle
- Espaces > Amériques > États-Unis
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Histoire de l'Art
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Patrimoine
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Études visuelles
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Identités culturelles
- Espaces > Europe > Îles britanniques
- Somerset House, Strand
Londres, Grande-Bretagne (WC2R 0RN)
- mardi 15 janvier 2013
- visiting professorship, Terra Foundation for American Art, Terra Foundation, Courtauld Institute, art history, histoire de l'art, professeur
- Ewa Bobrowska
courriel : travelgrants [at] terraamericanart [dot] eu
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Terra Foundation for American Art
courriel : Intern2 [at] terraamericanart [dot] eu
Pour citer cette annonce
« Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship at the Courtauld Institute of Art, London, 2013-2015 », Bourse, prix et emploi, Calenda, Publié le mercredi 19 décembre 2012, http://calenda.org/232928