AccueilHigher Education and Mobilities 2013
Publié le mercredi 15 mai 2013 par Elsa Zotian
In a context of major change in both higher education and the academic world, transformations can be considered as multi-dimensional and include issues such as : high enrolment rates, increased social and cultural heterogeneity, development of and change in mobility (institutional, territorial, international), diversification of the offer of academic institutions (public and private, reconfiguration of the institutional landscape), changes in policy guidelines, such as the Bologna Process. The conference will focus on individual and group behaviours, strategies and trajectories which are strongly affected by and find themselves remodelled in the current context. We propose the term mobility as a central notion for apprehending the phenomena.
Grenoble, December 19-20th, 2013, Laboratoire des Sciences de L’Education, Univ. Grenoble-Alpes, France
This international conference takes place today in a context of major change in both higher education and the academic world. These transformations which are of variable intensity depending on the country, can be considered as multi-dimensional and include issues such as : high enrolment rates, increased social and cultural heterogeneity, development of and change in mobility (institutional, territorial, international), diversification of the offer of academic institutions (public and private, reconfiguration of the institutional landscape), changes in policy guidelines, such as the Bologna Process which aims at the establishment of a uniform higher education system across European nations.
The international conference will focus on individual and group behaviours, strategies and trajectories which are strongly affected by and find themselves remodelled in the current context. We propose the term mobility as a central notion for apprehending the phenomena. In the current call for papers, we distinguish five closely related but different forms of mobility.
How do students decide on the choice of their place of study? What guides their vocational orientation and choice of region? What are the strategies at play? Which factors might account for these student behaviours?
What are the mobility practices that can be observed and analysed in the context of the diversification of the offer of academic institutions? Which factors might explain the public’s allocation phenomena, i.e. orientation mechanisms, the place of fees and tuition in investment decisions, the influence of institutional reputation and the existence of selection procedures?
What are the factors that explain the phenomena of academic performance and, more generally, the phenomena of success, failure or dropout in higher education? What determines student behaviour and student strategies? How can we explain the phenomena of time allocation between different activities?
To what extent does the current trend of diversification of higher education contribute to increasing social mobility? What are the expectations of students from diverse backgrounds in terms of social inclusion and access to the labour market? What kind of data and analysis contributes to the study of the social and professional integration?
In order to be part of higher education at an international level, what are the strategies and policies, (for example going for high rankings, recruitment policies, international networking), that are being implemented by different actors in higher education, in research laboratories, and policy makers? What are the strategies and behaviours of individual students in this form of mobility?
At the heart of these transformations, the international conference will place special emphasis on behaviour, strategies, and practices of the actors of higher education. Analysis in terms of choice, motivations, decisions, and expectations are at the centre of this enterprise. The scientific committee will privilege work that allows better understanding of practices, appropriately describes or quantifies them, or that analyses and constructs typologies. Presentation of original data produced on the basis of surveys or exploratory, methodological efforts in data collection and processing, or in modelling will also receive special attention.
Submission of proposals
The conference languages are English and French (a translation from French to English will be proposed during the conference).
The presentation format will be either oral presentation or poster with ample opportunity for discussion (in both formats). Presentations will be organized in sessions around common themes.
The submission Web page is https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hem2013
Please create an account on easychair and submit your proposal
before september 1th, 2013
as a file in PDF format. You will need to give the following information:
- Title of the presentation
- Name(s), affiliation(s), and email address of the author(s)
- Preference for a paper or poster presentation
- Abstract of 150 words
- A proposal of maximally 10000 signs in pdf format named <SURNAME OF FIRST AUTHOR>.pdf
Proposals for papers or posters should be no more than 10 000 signs in length (including all figures and references).
A submission template can be found on the web site of the conference: hem.upmf-grenoble.fr/index2.php?special=fichier_page&id=5
Papers should be submitted by september 1th, 2013.
Authors will be notified of the results of the reviewing process by september 30th.
All submissions will be reviewed by at least two independent reviewers, who are members of the scientific committee of the conference. The proposals will be reviewed according to the following criteria:
- Overall quality and scientific originality
- Significance for theory and practice
- Clarity of definition of research questions and objectives
- Research method and design
- Quality, validity and appropriateness of the analysis
- Presentation and interpretation of results
- Relevance to the conference's theme
A copy of the proceedings will be available at the meeting and electronic proceedings will be available on the web site of the conference. However, you will retain copyright of the material and are free to resubmit for journal publication.
- April, 15, 2013. Submission of papers opening
- September, 1, 2013. submission of papers deadline
- September 30, 2013. Results of the reviewers process.
- October 20, 2013. Early bild registration deadline.
- December 19-20, 2013. Meeting Dates.
Conference location and dates
The conference will be held at the University Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, 19-20 December 2013.
Further details on the conference web site http://hem.upmf-grenoble.fr
- Alain Fernex, université Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, France (Chair)
- Sharon A. Barrios, California State university, Chico, USA
- Heike Behle, Warwick institute for Employment research, England
- Thérèse Bouffard, université du Québec à Montréal, Canada
- Abdelmajid Bouziane, université Hassan II, Casablanca, Morocco
- Arielle Compeyron, université Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, France
- Marina Elias, universitat de Barcelona, Spain
- Grégoire Feyt, université Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
- Georges Felouzis, université de Genève, Switzerland
- Werner Georg, universitat Konstanz, Germany
- Charles Hadji, université Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, France
- Gayle Hutchinson, California State university, Chico, USA
- Jean Kellerhals, université de Genève, Switzerland
- Laurent Lima, université Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, France
- Annie Pilote, université Laval, Canada
- Gilles Rouet, GEPECS, Université Paris Descartes, France
- Helena Troiano, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
- Mohammed Talbi, université Hassan II, Casablanca, Morocco
- Carole Vezeau, Cégep Lanaudière, université du Québec à Montréal, Canada
- Erica de Vries, université Pierre Mendès France, Grenoble, France
- IUT 2 - 1 place de Verdun
Grenoble, France (38)
- dimanche 01 septembre 2013
- higher education, mobility, students
- Laurent Lima
courriel : HEM2013 [at] upmf-grenoble [dot] fr
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Laurent Lima
courriel : HEM2013 [at] upmf-grenoble [dot] fr
Pour citer cette annonce
« Higher Education and Mobilities 2013 », Appel à contribution, Calenda, Publié le mercredi 15 mai 2013, http://calenda.org/248031