AccueilQuatrième congrès international sur le carré des opposés
4rth International Congress on the Square of Opposition
The Square : a Central Object for Thought
Publié le vendredi 05 juillet 2013 par Luigia Parlati
The square of opposition is a very famous theme coming from Aristotelian logic dealing with the notions of opposition, negation, quantification and proposition. It has been continuously studied by people interested in logic, philosophy and Aristotle during two thousand years. Even Frege, one of the main founders of modern mathematical logic, used it. This congress is an interdisciplinary event gathering logicians, philosophers, mathematicians, semioticians, artists, cognitivists, and computer scientists.
Call for Papers
SQUARE 2014 4th World Congress on the Square of Opposition Pontifical Lateran University, Vatican, May 5-9, 2014
Any talk related to the square of opposition is welcome for this interdisciplinary congress gathering top researchers from all over the world (logicians, philosophers, mathematicians, theologists, linguists, semioticians, computer scientists, cognitivists, psychologists, artists).
The Square : a Central Object for Thought
The square of opposition is a very famous theme coming from Aristotelian logic dealing with the notions of opposition, negation, quantification and proposition. It has been continuously studied by people interested in logic, philosophy and Aristotle during two thousand years. Even Frege, one of the main founders of modern mathematical logic, used it.
Some people have proposed to replace the square by a triangle, on the other hand the square has been generalized into more complex geometrical objects: hexagons, octagons and even polyhedra and multi-dimensional objects.
Aim of the Congress
This will be the 4th world congress organized about the square of opposition after very succesful previous events in Montreux, Switzerland 2007, Corté, Corsica 2010, Beirut, Lebanon, 2012. This is an interdisciplinary event gathering logicians, philosophers, mathematicians, semioticians, artists, cognitivists, and computer scientists.
The meeting will end by a final round square table where subalterned people will express their various contrarieties, subcontrarieties and contradictions.
- To submit a contribution send a one page abstract to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All talks related to the square of oppostion are welcome, in particular those falling into the categories below.
- Diagrammatic and Artistic works related to the square of opposition are also welcome, send your files to Square2014@gmail.com.
The deadline for submission is November 1st, 2013
You will received notification before December 15th 2013.
As in previous editions of the event, peer-reviewed papers will be published after the congress in a book and a special issue of a journal with publishers of international recognition.
- BEFORE JANUARY 31 2014
Regular registration fee EUR 150 / USD 200
Reduced fee for students or people from countries with low currencies EUR 75 / USD 100
- ON ARRIVAL
Regular registration fee EUR 200 / USD 270
Reduced fee for students or people from countries with low currencies EUR 150 / USD 200
- Jean-Pierre Desclés, Dpt of Mathematics and Informatics, University Paris-Sorbonne, France
- René Guitart, Dpt of Mathematics, University of Paris 7, France
- Larry Horn, Dpt of Linguistics, Yale, USA
- Dale Jacquette, Dpt of Philosophy, University of Bern, Switzerland
- Dominique Luzeaux, DGA, Minister of Defense, Paris, France
- Terence Parsons, Dept of Philosophy, UC Los Angeles, USA
- Stephen Read, School of Philosophical and Anthropological Studies, University of Saint Andrews, Scotland
- Hans Smessaert, Dpt of Linguistics, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium
- Peter Schröder-Heister, Dpt of Informatics, University of Tübingen, Germany
- Jan Wolenski, Dept of Philosophy, Krakow, Poland
- Pensée (Catégorie principale)
- Esprit et Langage > Pensée > Philosophie
- Esprit et Langage > Pensée > Histoire intellectuelle
- Esprit et Langage > Pensée > Sciences cognitives
- Périodes > Époque contemporaine > XXIe siècle
- Sociétés > Études des sciences > Philosophie des sciences
- Esprit et Langage > Épistémologie et méthodes > Épistémologie
- Piazza San Giovanni In Laterano, 4, Citta' Del Vaticano
Vatican, Saint-Siège (Etat de la Cité du Vatican) (00120)
- vendredi 01 novembre 2013
- carré des opposés, square of opposition, logic, negation, quantification, proposition, contrariety, subcontrariety, contradiction
- Jean-Yves Béziau
courriel : jyb [dot] logician [at] gmail [dot] com
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Juliette Lemaire
courriel : juliette [dot] lemaire [at] paris-sorbonne [dot] fr
Pour citer cette annonce
« Quatrième congrès international sur le carré des opposés », Appel à contribution, Calenda, Publié le vendredi 05 juillet 2013, http://calenda.org/254683