AccueilHandbook of Research on Multimedia Integration and Interactivity in Electronic Books
Publié le mercredi 09 avril 2014 par João Fernandes
The purpose of the publication is to summarize the international current body of research on history, theory, models, methods, and experimentations on e-books and “enhanced” e-books (also named “media-enriched”, “augmented”, “interactive”, “multimedia”, “social”, e-books, etc.) in the fields of information and documentation studies, design, art theory and practice, literary studies, and computer science.
During the past few years, the development of digital reading contents for devices such as tablets, e-readers, and smartphones has challenged the traditional ecosystem of publishing, has questioned the traditional practices of reading, and has triggered a wave of innovations and experimentations among publishers and their new technological partners.
In search of new formats, designs, and business models, e-books currently propose a balance between traditional forms influenced by the paper book and an integration of the interactive and multimedia potential of the digital in order to “enhance” the experience of reading. E-books challenge publishers, librarians, authors, designers, and readers and their traditional relation to the “book”. They draw a line where technology, innovation, and creation interfere with our imaginations on reading and our traditional representations of the book.
This handbook of research will consider global aspects such as the history of e-books, new publishing models, marketing methods, economical models, transformation of the publishing workflow, and the new role of libraries and digital libraries, from different international perspectives.
It will also focus on design, development, innovation, practices, uses, research, and creative projects. The forms of e-books and enhanced e-books can be examined in terms of navigation paths, page layout, and content designs and will include semiotic, aesthetic, and literary approaches. What is the future of the page, the index, the table of contents, and the traditional “navigation” tools used in the paper book? What kind of features does an enhanced e-book provide between interaction, navigation, analyzing tools, audio, active images, animated content elements, dictionary, social sharing, annotation functions, hyperlinks? What kind of gestures are the readers supposed to mobilize? How publishers and creators try to figure out and integrate various multimedia and interactive features to create a new form of digital reading?
The emerging reading practices of digital books will be analyzed through empirical studies. How do e-books affect the reading process? Do their numerous features act as mere distractions that pull the reader out of the "reading" process? What kind of attention, pleasure, engagement, comprehension, and memorization might be mobilized? How can we minimize disruptions to the reading flow while providing relevant interactive content? Various types of reading will be explored in different educational or entertainment related scenarios. Scientific and academic books as well as fictions and novels, which rely on immersive graphics or embedded soundtrack, can be analyzed. A particular attention will be given to the methodology used to observe the reader experience.
Besides, this handbook aims at presenting some innovative design approaches involving the use of multimedia development tools and co-design leaded experiences.
Authors and designers, from various fields, are invited to show how they explore new formats from different perspectives, coming from printed literature or from digital born literature. What kind of forms and figures can help to improve the readers' engagement and the comprehension of the contents? What tools do authors and publishers use? How can technology support creativity?
The overall objectives and missions are to capitalize on the latest and emerging advances on this topic by offering a state of the art compilation of research that can be disseminated in the international community. This handbook has the clear intention to develop and reinforce the importance of research in this crucial area by clarifying methodologies and giving future directions: few books have gathered researchers and their works on the subject showing experimentations and results on practices regarding e-books.
- Overview on e-books and their history from different perspective countries (America, Europe, Africa, etc.)
- E-books publishing models and policies (business models, agile publishing, cultural issues, future trends in the market, selection and acquisition of e-books, marketing e-books, legal issues, archiving, curation, accessibility, digital libraries, digital libraries)
- Transformation of the traditional workflow
- Imaginations of publishers, authors, and readers related to e-books and enhanced e-books
- Designing and developing e-books (evolution of formats, page layout, navigation tools, interface design, content representation, search architecture, datamining, indexing, browsing)
- New tools, technology, and content management for publishing (authoring tools, platforms, software, standardization, interoperability, metadata, editorial and production workflow)
- Enhanced e-books (categorization, role of hypertext and interactivity, use of media in the reading context, writing, narration, storytelling, gamelike interactivity, augmented reality, gamified books, social medias)
- Scenario of use in various fields (children, adults, specific user communities, fiction and non fiction, academic, scientific, textbook, technical documentation, graphic novels, comics…) and contexts (library, private reading, university…)
- Empirical studies on digital reading (readers engagement, comprehension reading, user experience and usability, reader response theory)
- Integration of e-books in e-learning
- Future of digital publishing
- Digital literature and e-books: links, experimentations (digital born fiction, research and creation projects, new art forms exploring creative possibilities, innovation), close readings
Submission ProcedureResearchers and practitioners are invited to submit on or before
June 25th, 2014
PublisherThis book is scheduled to be published by IGI Global (formerly Idea Group Inc.), publisher of the "Information Science Reference" (formerly Idea Group Reference), "Medical Information Science Reference," "Business Science Reference," and "Engineering Science Reference" imprints. For additional information regarding the publisher, please visit www.igi-global.com. This publication is anticipated to be released in 2015.
- Dr. Alexandra Saemmer (University Paris 8, Vincennes-Saint-Denis, France, Associate Professor)
- Nolwenn Tréhondart (University of Paris 8, France, Publishing Specialist and Research Engineer at Labex Arts-H2H)
- Dr. Madjid Ihadjadene (University Paris 8, Vincennes-Saint-Denis, France, Full Professor)
Important DatesJune 25, 2014: Proposal Submission Deadline
May 15, 2014: Notification of the accepted Proposals
August 15, 2014: Full Chapter Submission
October 15, 2014: Review Results to authors
November 30, 2014: Final Acceptance Notifications
December 30, 2014: Final Chapter Submission
Dr. Alexandra Saemmer
Associate Professor, Information and Documentation Science
University of Paris 8, Vincennes-Saint-Denis, 2 rue de la Liberté, 93100 Saint-Denis, France
Tel.: 00 (33) 1 49 40 64 17
- Information (Catégorie principale)
- Esprit et Langage > Information > Sciences de l'information
- Esprit et Langage > Langage > Littératures
- Esprit et Langage > Information > Édition électronique
- Esprit et Langage > Information > Histoire et sociologie du livre
- Sociétés > Sociologie > Sociologie de la culture
- Esprit et Langage > Épistémologie et méthodes > Digital humanities
- mercredi 25 juin 2014
- ebook, multimédia, numérique, édition, sciences de l'information, lecture
- Alexandra Saemmer
courriel : alexandra [dot] saemmer [at] univ-paris8 [dot] fr
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- madjid Ihadjadene
courriel : madjid [dot] ihadjadene [at] univ-paris8 [dot] fr
Pour citer cette annonce
« Handbook of Research on Multimedia Integration and Interactivity in Electronic Books », Appel à contribution, Calenda, Publié le mercredi 09 avril 2014, http://calenda.org/281203