AccueilCulture(s) in Sustainable Futures
Theories, practices and policies
Publié le vendredi 14 novembre 2014 par Elsa Zotian
Is culture the fourth pillar of sustainability alongside the ecological, economic and social aspects? How does culture act as a catalyst for ecological sustainability, human well-being and economic viability? What would our futures look like if sustainability was embedded in the multiple dimensions of culture? This landmark conference explores the roles and meanings of culture in sustainable development. The new ideas generated in the conference will inform and advance understandings of sustainability with cultural studies and practices, and vice versa.
International Transdisciplinary Conference "Culture(s) in Sustainable Futures: theories, policies, practices" May 6-8, 2015 | Helsinki, Finland
Is culture the fourth pillar of sustainability alongside the ecological, economic and social aspects? How does culture act as a catalyst for ecological sustainability, human well-being and economic viability? What would our futures look like if sustainability was embedded in the multiple dimensions of culture?
This landmark conference explores the roles and meanings of culture in sustainable development. The new ideas generated in the conference will inform and advance understandings of sustainability with cultural studies and practices, and vice versa. The invited speakers of the conference are internationally well-known scholars and actors in this field:
We invite proposals for paper presentations in 19 sessions within the following four thematic streams:
Theories, Conceptual Approaches And Methodologies
- Linking cultural and natural: Cultural ecosystem services, biocultural diversity, capabilities
- Framing culture(s) in sustainable development: Breaking the boundaries
- Developing assessment tools for measuring culture in sustainable development: Theoretical and practical approaches
- Landscape as heritage: A central idea for the role of culture in sustainability?
- The role of participative and perceptive maps in building and preserving sustainable culture(s)
Incorporating Culture In Sustainable Development Policies
- Operationalizing culture in the sustainable development of cities
- Culture and politics of development: Ethical challenges
- Cultural and creative industries and sustainable development: Miracle or myth?
- The role of cultural policy/ies in sustainable development
- Governing cultural heritage - governing the future? The role of cultural heritage in sustainable development
Cultural And Ecological Transitions And Transformations
- Values in place: The interior dimension of sustainability
- Local movements in sustainable transitions
- Local museums and heritage sites: What roles in community transitions?
- The roles of design in the quest for sustainable futures
- Cultures of using and disposing
Crafting And Grafting Urban And Rural Environments
- The nature-culture nexus for more sustainable and just protected areas
- Strategic gardening: Mobilizing cultural aspects of gardening in sustainable development
- The transformative potential of cultural and artistic endeavours for sustainable rural futures
- Artistic urban interventions: A sustainable urban heritage?
For further information about the individual sessions within these thematic streams, please see: http://www.culturalsustainability.eu/helsinki2015/sessions-1
Proposals from all disciplines will be considered, provided they make an original academic contribution to the study of culture and sustainability and explicitly analyse multiple dimensions of culture in sustainable development. The abstracts (250-300 words) should be submitted through an online submission system.
Call For Papers open October 20 to December 5, 2014
This International Transdisciplinary Conference will take place at Helsinki, Finland on May 6-8th.
- Call for transdisciplinary panels for debates on a specific theme among scientists, policymakers, and practitioners.
- Call for contributions for posters, artistic expressions and performances to explore the relationship between culture and sustainability through different presentational forms, employing the methods of science and/or arts.
For further information, please see: http://www.culturalsustainability.eu/helsinki2015/Call-for-proposals
Selected full papers and other contributions will be published in conference proceedings and in a book within the recently launched book series "Routledge Studies in Culture and Sustainable Development."
The conference is organised by the COST Action "Investigating Cultural Sustainability” (www.culturalsustainability.eu) and hosted by the University of Jyväskylä, Department of Social Sciences and Philosophy.
The Conference is organised by the COST Action IS1007 Investigating Cultural Sustainability. The aim of this for-year Action has been to increase understanding of the role and meaning of culture in sustainable development based on multidiciplinary approaches. The work will be carried out by:
- investigating and operationalizing the concept of culture in the context of sustainable development through multidisciplinary approaches and analyses;
- examing the best practices for bringing culture into policy and practical domains;
- developing means and indicators for assessing the impacts of culture on sustainable development
The Conference is hosted by the University of Jyväskylä, Department of Social Sciences, Master's Programme in Cultural Policy. Social transformations, moral agency and transforming welfare are the core research areas of the Department. The Master's Programme in Cultural Policy focuses on the position of culture and cultural policy in societal transformation processes in public, private and third sectors.
The Scientific Committee of the Conference is comprised of the members of the COST Action:
- Dr. Katriina Soini, University of Jyväskylä, MTT Agrifood Research, Finland (Chair)
- Dr. Elena Battaglini, IRES (Economic & Social Research Institute), Italy
- Dr. Nathalie Blanc, CRNS, Ladyss, France
- Prof. Joost Dessein, ILVO, Institute for Agriculture and Fisheries and University of Ghent, Belgium
- Dr. Nancy Duxbury, University of Coimbra, Centre for Social Studies, Portugal
- Dr. Sacha Kagan, Leuphana University, Luneburg, Germany
- Prof. Anita Kangas, University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- Dr. Constanza Parra, Division of Geography, KU Leuven, Belgium
- Prof. Milena Dragicevic-Sesic, University of Arts, Belgrade, Serbia
- Prof. Katriina Siivonen, University of Helsinki, Finland
The Local Organising Committee is comprised of the Finnish members of the Action and the conference secretary:
- Dr. Katriina Soini, University of Jyväskylä
- Prof. Anita Kangas, University of Jyväskylä
- Prof. Katriina Siivonen, University of Helsinki
- M.Sc. Mari Kivitalo, University of Jyväskylä
- Prof. Antti Honkanen, University of Eastern Finland
- Ms. Sari Asikainen, University of Jyväskylä, conference secretary
For further information, please contact us:
Action Chair, Dr. Katriina Soini, katriina.soini (at) jyu.fi
Conference Secretary, Ms. Sari Asikainen, landmark2015 (at) jyu.fi
More information here http://www.culturalsustainability.eu/helsinki2015
- Sociologie (Catégorie principale)
- Sociétés > Ethnologie, anthropologie
- Sociétés > Géographie > Géographie rurale
- Sociétés > Études urbaines
- Sociétés > Géographie
- Sociétés > Géographie > Espace, société et territoire
- Sociétés > Géographie > Géographie : politique, culture et représentation
- Sociétés > Géographie > Nature, paysage et environnement
- City district Katajanokka - Wanha Satama (Old Harbour)
- vendredi 05 décembre 2014
- culture, sustainability, nature, art, sustainable development
- Sari Asikainen
courriel : landmark2015 [at] iju [dot] fi
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Constanza Parra
courriel : constanza [dot] parra [at] ees [dot] kuleuven [dot] be
Pour citer cette annonce
« Culture(s) in Sustainable Futures », Appel à contribution, Calenda, Publié le vendredi 14 novembre 2014, http://calenda.org/305513
Archiver cette annonce
À lire sur le même thème
- A cultura no desenvolvimento sustentável: políticas, estratégias e processos
- Regional Sustainability
- Arts de la scène et cinéma au prisme du développement durable
- Sounds, noise and music for re-thinking sustainable city and econeighborhood
- CIMQUSEF'2013: 10th international conference of quality management in education and training systems