AccueilCommunicating Politics. Media, Communication, Activism from the French revolution to the present
Publié le mercredi 15 juin 2016 par Céline Guilleux
L'Ecole d'été « Communicating politics. Media, Communication, Activism from the French Revolution to the present » se tiendra à Padoue, en Italie, du 19 au 24 septembre 2016. Le programme sera consacré à l'étude, dans une perspective historique, des liens entre les médias et la politique, de la Révolution française à nos jours et dans différentes aires et régions géographiques. L'enjeu de l'école d'été est de s'interroger sur la manière dont l'étude de ces liens permet d'enrichir nos connaissances en histoire des médias et en histoire politique.
Date and place
19 September – 24 September 2016
- Centro interuniversitario di storia culturale (CSC)
- Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche, Geografiche e dell’Antichità
- Università di Padova, Italy (UNIPD)
- Centre d’histoire culturelle des sociétés contemporaines (CHCSC)
- Université de Versailles Saint Quentin, France (UVSQ)
- Centre des sciences historiques de la culture (SHC)
- Université de Lausanne, Swiss (UNIL)
Directors of the School
- Carlotta Sorba, Università di Padova
- Jean Claude Yon, Caroline Moine, Université de Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yveline, France (UVSQ)
- François Vallotton, Université de Lausanne, Swiss (UNIL)
- Alberto Mario Banti, Università di Pisa
- Ferdinando Fasce, Università di Genova
- Enrico Francia, Università di Padova
- Gianluca Fruci, Università di Bari
- Damiano Garofalo, Università di Padova
- Philippe Kaenel, Université de Lausanne
- Federico Mazzini, Università di Padova
- Alessio Petrizzo, Università di Padova, IEA Lyon
- François Robinet, Université Versailles Saint Quentin
- Nelly Valsangiacomo, Université de Lausanne
The Summer School in Communicating politics. Media, Communication, Activism from the French Revolution to the present is held in Padua, Italy; it aims at creating an international and highly qualified learning environment, which will allow participants to be actively involved in workshops and seminars and to experiment innovative ways of collaborative learning under the supervision of renown academics and experts from different Universities and Research Centres from Italy, Switzerland and France.
The program will give an historical insight of the relationship between media and politics, taking in exam a long period of time, from the French Revolution to the present, and different geographical areas. Participants will be led to familiarize with methodologies and approaches to the mediatisation of politics (and its implications) and to the transformation of political activism in relation with old and new media. The purpose of the Summer School is to question how the study of these interrelationships is likely to increase knowledge in Media History and in Political History.
While the three promoting centres share a strong historical orientation, with a focus on Cultural History and Cultural Studies, we welcome applications from other disciplines like Art History, Sociology, Media Studies, Political Science. The course challenges participants to commit themselves to a critical research approach, combining different fields of study, chronologies and geographical spaces and fostering an open dialogue among experts having a variety of scientific and academic backgrounds. This call applications seeks original contributions in, but it is not limited to, the following topics:
- mediatisation of politics and democratisation processes;
- intermediality issues (all kind of media will be taken into account : photography, cinema, audovisual media, Internet, social networks…);
- redefinition of political actors and their actions (i.e. State and non-state institutional actors; individuals; networks, from local to global).
The Summer School in Communicating politics. Media, Communication, Activism from the French revolution to the present is primarily intended for graduate and post-graduate students, PhD candidates, and young researchers having an academic or professional interest in the relationship between media and politics in historical perspective.
The Summer School consists in a six days course (36 hours); it is delivered in English (and possibly in French) and developed in two modules. The first part includes overview lectures, both theoretical and methodological. In the second part the invited speakers will present a selection of case studies and the most recent research results in the field. The program will include field trips to sites of particular interest for the subject (as for example the Pre-cinema Museum, Collection Zotti Minici). The successful applicant will be expected to actively take part in the seminars, discussions and laboratories, bringing the experience of his own studies. Based on the regular attendance of the course, students will be awarded two ECTS credits.
The School is open to a maximum of 25 participants,12 of which may be awarded a scholarship on a competitive basis. The selection criteria are indicated below.
A good command of English (and possibly French) is required. The course is primarily intended for graduate and post-graduate students, PhD candidates, and young researchers having an academic or professional interest in the relationship between media and politics in historical perspective
People interested in participating in the Summer School must apply by submitting a curriculum vitae including statements about their current research or research project (with references to sources) and a short motivation letter describing their interest in the relationship between media and politics in historical perspective
Participants will be selected on the basis of an assessment of:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of academic qualifications
- Short motivation letter, stating the candidate’s interest in participating in the Summer School (possibly including an abstract of a project / proposal of max 250 words)
All these documents can be presented in English, French or Italian
Secretariat: Francesca Mura - email@example.com
Applications are due (i.e. they must be received by the Summer School Secretariat) by 30th of June 2016.
Selection results will be announced by the 5th of July 2016. All applicants will be informed by e-mail about the status of their application. Please send your application as a single word or PDF document per email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuition and fees
Admitted participants will have to pay a fee of EUR 80 euros, which will cover tuition costs, buffet lunches and learning materials handed out during the training.
Participants who wish to apply for a scholarship must specify their interest in their letter of motivation or in the e-mail message. Full scholarships cover tuition fees (80 euros), daily accommodation at University colleges; dinner at University canteens; a lump sum of the travel costs from and to the University of Padua (up to a maximum of 100 euros)
Each applicant will be evaluated according to three criteria: academic potential (50%); experience in the Summer School topics (30%); personal motivation (20%). Each criterion will be scored on a scale of 1-5 (5 = Very good, 4 = Good, 3 = Good, 2 = fair, 1 = poor).
Lectures and workshops will be held in a beautiful venue in downtown Padova, Italy. All participants are required to stay for the entire duration of the event. Accommodation and travel expenses are not included in the participation fee. Please direct logistical questions to the Summer School Secretariat (email@example.com); various lodging arrangements will be suggested upon request and through the Summer School web site.
- Histoire (Catégorie principale)
- Esprit et Langage > Représentations > Histoire culturelle
- Périodes > Époque contemporaine > XIXe siècle
- Périodes > Époque contemporaine > XXe siècle
- Sociétés > Études du politique > Histoire politique
- Périodes > Époque contemporaine > XXIe siècle
- Sociétés > Études du politique > Mouvements politiques et sociaux
- Esprit et Langage > Information > Histoire et sociologie des médias
- Padoue, Italie
- jeudi 30 juin 2016
- Caroline Moine
courriel : caroline [dot] moine [at] uvsq [dot] fr
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Caroline Moine
courriel : caroline [dot] moine [at] uvsq [dot] fr
Pour citer cette annonce
« Communicating Politics. Media, Communication, Activism from the French revolution to the present », École d'été, Calenda, Publié le mercredi 15 juin 2016, http://calenda.org/369886