Phd programme presentation
This is an international and inter-university PhD programme, with the participation of the most relevant History departments and research units of the University of Lisbon (Institute of Social Sciences and Faculty of Letters), ISCTE- Lisbon University Institute, Portuguese Catholic University and University of Évora.
This PhD programme has been selected for funding by the Portuguese Agency for Science and Technology (FCT). It offers 4 PhD scholarships and further financial support throughout the preparation of the PhD dissertation.
Classes run in Lisbon from 19 September 2016 onwards. Courses and seminars are taught in Portuguese and English. Enrolled students receive monitoring assistance by tutors and supervisors.
The PIUDHist offers 4 annual scholarships, in the context of the “FCT PhD programmes” (see rules of selection process in Edital). For these FCT scholarships only new, first time applications, will be considered. Students enrolled in previous editions are not eligible for FCT scholarships.
PIUDHist has also support from Fundação Luso-Americana, in view of the future recruitment of North-American students.
PIUDHist also allows for the application to the following scholarships:
- Scholarship “BFA – Banco de Fomento de Angola (BFA)”, for students from Angola accepted by PIUDHist.
- Scholarship “Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian (FCG)”, for students coming from Portuguese speaking African countries and East-Timor, accepted by PIUDHist and in accordance to the rules of “Serviço de Bolsas Gulbenkian”.
- Scholarship “Fundação Oriente (FO)”, for Asian or Portuguese students aiming at studying historical relations between Portugal and Eastern countries, accepted by PIUDHist and in accordance to the rules of the scholarships programme of Fundação Oriente.
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
2 May to 15 June 2016 (FCT grants)
2 May to 9 September (PhD Programme)
Students admitted to the PhD programme should meet the following criteria:
- Holders of a master’s degree (or the legal equivalent in terms of ECTS awarded at an intermediate graduate level) in history or in any other field of the humanities and social sciences
- Exceptionally, in the terms of the Portuguese legal rules, holders of undergraduate or graduate courses whose CV and recommendation letters disclose the candidate’s outstanding ability to undertake advanced studies in history
The application to PIUDHIST should be filled-in online accompanied with the following documentation:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Academic transcripts and legal proofs of the diplomas and degrees awarded;
- Letter of intent stating the reasons and the motivations for choosing PIUDHIST;
- Outline of doctoral dissertation project;
- Papers and publications, including master’s dissertation when available (pdf
- Two letters of recommendation;
- and a photo.
All candidates to PIUDHIST will be subject to an initial screening procedure, in order to confirm the fulfillment of the above conditions. Candidates approved in principle will be short listed for interview, in person or via skype.
The expected number of students to admit in each edition of PIUDHIST is 15.
The expected number of FCT scholarships to assign in each edition of PIUDHIST is 4.
Selection and ranking criteria
The PIUDHIST Directive Board is responsible for the selection of candidates, according to the following criteria :
- Classification of degree : 10 %
- Rating Masters : 25 %
- Experience and ability to develop advanced research : 35 %
- Motivation letter, interview and project abstract : 30 %
At the end of the evaluation process, candidates are ordered according to the score obtained by the application of the selection criteria.
The final decision of the ranking of applications will be notified within one month after the closing date of each period of applications.
The governing structure of the PIUDHIST is its Directive Board, which is composed of the Programme Director (PD) and 5 representatives appointed by each one of the host institutions, after consultation with the PD. The PD is nominated by the proponent institution for the contract period of 4 years, subject to annual assessment of activities by the governing bodies of ICS-UL and FCT. The representatives of the host institutions are appointed for a period of 2 years, subject to one renewal of 2 years.
The composition of the Directive Board for the academic years 2013/2014 and
2014/2015 is as follows:
- Program Director: José Luís Cardoso (email@example.com)
- Representative ICS-ULisboa: Nuno Gonçalo Monteiro (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Representative FL-ULisboa: Hermenegildo Fernandes (email@example.com)
- Representative ISCTE-IUL: José Vicente Serrão ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Representative UCP: Paulo Fontes ( email@example.com )
- Representative U.Évora: Mafalda Soares da Cunha ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
The Directive Board is responsible for the management of the Doctoral Phd Program and its scientific and pedagogical coordination:
- The selection and admission of candidates;
- The distribution of the teaching service;
- The seleccion of ordinators and co.ordinators;
- The granting to students up to 4 additional semesters after the completion of 8 semesters required;
- Regular evaluation of teaching and mentoring activities;
- The review and updating of the curriculum;
- The submission of progress reports to external committees;
- Preparation of an annual report