AccueilSounds, noise and music for re-thinking sustainable city and econeighborhood
Publié le mardi 05 février 2013 par Élodie Faath
The conference will offer a platform for interdisciplinary dialog and presentations of innovative research and development in the field of integrating sound in sustainable architecture, sustainable building, urban design and city planning, covering a wide range of subjects from sonic geography, sonic ecology and soundscapes to the noise carthography, noise abatement and recent developments of sound design in general. Special emphasis will be given to the improvement of the Sound environment of touristic places and of the role that Sound can have for city attractiveness and sustainable tourism in cities.
Today, when western society is acutely concerned with the questions of individual existence, strongly accentuated by the economic and financial crisis, the emotions are once again at the forefront of our concerns. Social progress also implies that emotions, which have so long been ignored when major decisions were made, be taken fully into account in the construction of our urban world. Our urban world, architecture, the city, and the neighbourhood, naturally, seem to build on emotion, either it is positive or negative but still prohibiting indifference. The event «Echopolis - Days of Sound» Athena 2013 will deal with ways to enrich sustainable architecture and sustainable city with a new dimension, that of the emotions and senses who can certainly contribute to the rebirth of hope in society and in the city that is plagued by economic decline and collapsing due to the crisis.
The contemporary and future city is being flooded by networks of interconnections both internally and with other urban and spatial scales (its region, the national and supranational level ..), it is increasingly using new digital technologies to regulate its functions. Thus, a firm integration of sensations and emotions in designing sustainable city can only be based on digital technologies and catch up with their progress. Concepts such as interactivity with the user and the inhabitant of the city, are becoming increasingly important in the design of the urban environment and the everyday life.
The event "EchoPolis - Days of Sound" will focus on one of the most important senses: hearing, thus drawing attention to the sound quality of the urban environment and how, resources and tools can be used so that sounds, noises and music become design elements and factors of enrichment of sustainability in cities and neighborhoods. Relatively recently, the concepts of soundscape and sound design leave the research laboratories and invade the market, the world of professionals and the discourse between designers and all those involved in the application of sound design in the city, architects, engineers, private companies of sound equipment and facilities.
The EchoPolis Days of Sound major festival event is hosted by the french-hellenic and International SDMed Association which works for sustainable urban development in the Mediterranean and the Balkans and will be shared between June (19.20&21) and September-October (30.9, 1&2.10) 2013, in Athens : The EchoPolis - Days of Sound Event will target on the objective and use it as motto : "Re-invent emotions in the City, let's feel them, let's hear the city sounds" !
"Sounds, noise and music for re-thinking sustainable city and econeighborhood"
is the topic of the Echopolis international conference, to be held in the framework of the “Echopolis Days of Sound” event, to take place in the historical centre of Athens, from September 30 to October 2, 2013. The conference will offer a platform for interdisciplinary dialog and presentations of innovative research and development in the field of integrating sound in sustainable building and city planning and design, covering a wide range of subjects from sonic geography, sonic ecology and soundscapes to the noise carthography, noise abatement and recent developments of sound design in general.
“Echopolis International Conference” is pleased to invite specialists from academic and research institutions, industry and public institutions worldwide to present their innovative work. To be on the mailing list, please subscribe to the SDMed newsletter ( www.sd-med.org) or send an email to email@example.com
Main organizer of the conference, the SDMed observation Network is known internationally for high-level events and research in the domain of sustainable buildings, cities and eco-neighborhoods in the Mediterranean basin.
Academic partners of the conference are specialists from French, Greek and other world-wide Universities and Research Centers, backed by a strong international scientific committee.
The Echopolis International Conference Topics are the following :
- "Sonic Geography-Sonic Landscapes-Sonic Ecology"
- "Sound and music in emotional architecture and emotional city"
- "Sound design and eco-innovation in cities"
- "Sound and Noise in sustainable cities and econeighborhoods"
- "Sustainable abatement of noise by optimized combinations of natural and artificial means"
- "Urban and rural quiet areas-Sound and noise Cartography-Strategic noise plans"
- "Noise exposure and effects on health, Noise action plans,annoyance maps"
- "Sound environment, Noise, Music,city attractiveness and sustainable tourism"
- "Sound Heritage and soundscapes"
- "Sound and Noise in transport infrastructure"
- "Sound and Noise in sustainable buildings"
- "Balancing energy performance, thermal insulation, acoustic comfort and air quality in buildings"
The Conference is targeting to :
- the recognition and enhancement of the sound dimension of our lives
- exploring the role of sound in the way of perceiving, feeling, and thinking
- considering the environment in our everyday life as an aesthetic system where sound is an important factor.
- complementing the way we see architecture and urbanism, with a new design factor and parameter : the"sound"
- promoting the idea of enriching the academia and research with the specification of sound design (design sonore in french)
- promote presentation of modern materials and management systems (of sound and noise protection, sounds creation and patterns of use of sounds)
We are addressing to :
- Sound, acoustics and sound design scientists and practicioners.
- Architects, urban planners,geographers, sociologists, psychologists, philosophers,artists.
- Academics and researchers in the above fields.
- Companies that deal with related materials and building systems
- Companies that deal with the supply of technological equipment of management, creation and use of sounds
- Cities and networks of cities having developed innovative solutions for noise abatement or use of sound and music for increasing attractiveness
The submitted manuscripts will be reviewed by the International Scientific Committee and the authors will be notified on time of the outcome of the evaluation. The manuscripts that will be selected as oral or poster presentations will be published in hard copy at the conference book of abstracts. Full papers will be published in book format e-proceedings with a separate ISBN number. Details for the full paper preparation will be given to authors after notification of paper acceptance. The organizing committee is in contact with international scientific journals and selected papers from the conference may be published in special issues, after they have been reviewed.
All academic researchers, professionals and policy makers interested in the area of the conference are invited to present papers related to the conference topics.
Authors are requested to submit abstracts using the online submission form to the Conference Secretariat,
by March 15th, 2013.
Abstract Submission Guidelines
- Full title
- Author names as well as the corresponding author's full address and contact details.
- Applicable topic number (see above).
- Purpose of the work - methodology - scientific results
- One A4 page (text minimum 320 words) plus optionally one A4 page with figures and/or references.
- PDF Format
Please make sure that only low resolution figures are included in the abstract.
Deadline: March 15, 2013
Submission: submission of abstract through the online submission form.
The abstracts will be evaluated by an international expert panel. The acceptance or refusal of the abstract will be based on several criteria such as innovative value, context, quality of expression, and appropriateness to ECHOPOLIS aims, theoretical and practical implications. The scientific committee will take a preliminary decision as to the presentation framework of the contributions (oral, poster),to be confirmed subject to the full paper meeting expected standards.
Authors of abstracts accepted by the scientific committee will be invited to submit a full paper of six A4 pages for the conference proceedings. The deadline for paper submission will be 30 May 2013. Papers will be verified for language, form and content by one member of the scientific committee (or more if rejection or change of presentation mode are considered). All accepted papers will be published in the proceedings subject to conference attendance of at least one of the authors.
Papers will be presented during oral and poster sessions. A preliminary decision as to the relevant session will be made by the scientific committee on the basis of the abstract, to be confirmed after review of the final paper by one member of the scientific committee. Within the poster exhibition, there will be space available for software presentations.
The official conference languages are both English, French and Greek.
Authors will be notified regarding the acceptance of their abstract for an oral or a poster presentation by March 30, 2013. The deadline for submission of the full paper is 30 June 2013.
By submitting a full paper the authors agree that at least one of the authors will attend the conference to present it. They also agree that the paper can be made available as part of the proceedings on paper, electronic supports and the internet.
The deadline for author registration and payment is 30 May. The conference fee will be returned should a paper be refused.
Important dates and deadlines:
- First announcement, call for papers : January 2013
Deadline abstract submission: 15 March 2013
- Author acceptance notification: 30 Mar 2013
- Deadline full paper submission: 30 Jun 2013
- Full paper acceptance notification: 30 July 2013
- Registration : from 30 January 2013
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Conference Secretariat : e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. Fax : 0030 210 9236206, to the attention of Mrs Ioanna Pothitaki.
International scientific committee
- Prof. Maria Gravari-Barbas, Université Paris I-Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Prof. George Prevelakis, Université Paris I-Panthéon-Sobonne,SDMed
- Prof. Ayse Nur-Okten, Yildiz Technical University, Turkey,SDMed
- Prof. Maria Preziozo, University of Rome "Tor Vergata",Italian ESPON Contact Point
- Prof. Petros Petsimeris, Université Paris I-Panthéon-Sorbonne
- Prof.Ilias Beriatos, University of Thessaly, Former Vice-President of European Council of Town Planners (ECTP)
- Prof.Thanos Vlastos, National Technical University of Athens
- Bruno VINCENT,Docteur en psycho acoustique appliquée à l’environnement,Directeur Acoucité,
- Observatoire environnement sonore sous convention Grand Lyon
- Anne Azam-Pradeilles, Ministère de l'Intérieur(FR),EUROPA, SDMed
- Isabelle Baer, Deleguée du Syndicat National des Professionels de l'aménagement et de lotissement (FR),SDMed
- Dr. Anastasia Karandinou, Architectural Design University of Portsmouth
National scientific committee
- Asst Prof. Stella Kyvelou,Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences of Athens,Greek ECP, SDMed
- Ass.Prof. Lydia Sapounaki-Dracaki, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences of Athens, SDMed
- Asst Prof, Antonios Rovolis, Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences of Athens, Greek ECP
- Ass.Prof.Alexis Defner, University of Thessaly
- Prof. Sophia Avgerinou-Kolonia,National Technical University of Athens
- Margarita Karavassili, Architect, Urban Planner, President of the Citizens Inspectorate for Sustainable Development
- Dr. Georgia Aifadopoulou, Principal Researcher, Head of Unit “Intelligent Infrastructure & Demand Management”, Centre for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH), Hellenic Institute of Transport(HIT)
- Christos Floros, Architect,Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Patras, Department of Architecture
- Antonios Papadopoulos, Engineer-Architect, Urban Planner, SDMed
- Sylvie Gruszow, Scientific Journalist
- Asst Prof.Stella Kyvelou, Panteion University, SDMed
- Dr. Sylvie Gruszow, Journalist, Association Conférences Sans Frontières
- Dr. Nicholas Karachalis,Panteion University, University of Thessaly
- Dr. Maro Sinou,TEI of Athens, Panteion University, SDMed
- Dr. Maroulia Zorzou, Environmentalist
- Stratos Manos, Panteion University, Greek ECP
- Maria Sfyraki, Artistic programme Manager,Panteion University
- Rena Kyprioti, Artistic programme Manager, SDMed
- Ioanna Pothitaki, Panteion University, SDMed
- Leonidas Maroulis, Panteion University, SDMed
- Michael Cacoyannis Foundation - 206, Piraeus Str. (near Chamosternas Str.) Tavros, Athens
Athènes, Grèce (177 78)
- vendredi 15 mars 2013
- sound, noise, emotional architecture, emotional city, sonic geography, econeighborhood, sustainability
- Ioanna Pothitaki
courriel : jpothitaki [at] gmail [dot] com
- Stella Kyvelou
courriel : skyvelou [at] icloud [dot] com
URLS de référence
Source de l'information
- Ioanna Vasiliki Pothitaki
courriel : jpothitaki [at] gmail [dot] com
Pour citer cette annonce
« Sounds, noise and music for re-thinking sustainable city and econeighborhood », Appel à contribution, Calenda, Publié le mardi 05 février 2013, http://calenda.org/237883